Sunday, February 17, 2013

Hello, My Name Is...

"Hello, my name is Child of the One True King", sings Matthew West.

(Click here to view a lyric video for the song)

I don't have a lot to tell you tonight. You think it's complicated, but it's really not. So please, throw away all preconceived notions and hear what I have to say.

What Matthew West says here -that's what it's about. Your identity has nothing to do with what you've done. It has nothing to do with your circumstances, your failures, or how far away you feel.

In fact, it's not really about you at all. That's extremely terrifying, to know that you're not truly in control. However, it's also very freeing, because that means you can always have hope. You see, if God is out there, all-knowing and all-loving, you don't have to rely on your own strength anymore. Doesn't that sound wonderful?

You've bought into the idea that your life is somehow measured by the height of your success or the depths of your despair. That's a twisting of the truth that Satan loves to attack you with. Don't give him the time of day anymore. It's not worth it.

Yes, I know you've experienced grace, and I know you've thrown that back into God's face. I know you've struggled, you've hidden, you've ran. God knows it too. Of course it hurts him, be sure of that. You're even right in thinking that it should separate you from him. Here's what you're forgetting: THAT'S THE POINT OF GRACE. 

That's the whole point. You've fallen, and that has to be atoned for. And it was!!! You're downplaying what Christ did by focusing on what you have been. It's not about that anymore. This journey God is calling you to is so much bigger than that.

Another line in Matthew West's song says this:
"I am no longer defined
By all the wreckage behind"

Your name is not Regret. Your life is not Shame. Your master is not Fear. You were created for so much more, and you know it. You are a Child of the One True King. Let that sink in. Let that be your identity. Here's the beautiful truth: because of grace, that is your identity. You're free. Live like it.


No, despite all these things, overwhelming victory is ours through Christ, who loved us. And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God’s love.
- (Romans 8:37-38a,  NLT)



Don't mind me, I'm just writing to myself. I've got a feeling that someone else can benefit from this too, though. Let's learn to believe more and more each day that we are loved.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Ben, It's me, Carol F. from Platteville FMC. You sure have a lot of words inside that creative mind of yours. It's good to see that you are using those words to honor God. Too many times we do things for our own glory and not the glory of God. I play music to honor God. He gave me a great gift as a child to be able to play without taking any piano lessons. I can sit for hours on the piano and never get tired of playing. It's my worship time alone with the Lord. In fact last Saturday I was at church from 2pm until 6pm playing piano and singing all alone, until some friends showed up. I love just my quiet time with God. This is actually Music Therapy for me because I have Generalized Anxiety Disorder with Panic Anxiety Disorder and Depression. Take care my friend,.Keep writing.

    ReplyDelete